In 2015, the EUROLOC and EURA Summer School on “INNOVATIONS IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT” will be co-organized by:
- Prof. Dr. Nikos Hlepas,
- Prof. Dr. Panagiotis Getimis (University of Athens),
- Prof. Dr. Kristof Steyvers,
- and Prof. Dr. Henk van der Kolk (EUROLOC/EURA),
- and the COST Action “Local Public Sector Reforms (LocRef)” (Prof. Sabine Kuhlmann, Christian Schwab from the University of Potsdam)
It will take place in Spetses, Greece from September 13th to 17th, 2015
Application deadline is June 30th, 2015
View the Call for Applications for further details.
Interested in publishing in a special issue of Raumforschung und Raumordung on Metropolitan Governance and Spatial Planning?
Or how does participating in the next International Sociological Association (ISA) Forum in Vienna next year sound?
Check out our Events and News page for details on the two new calls.
The UPDP Programme focuses on urban, social, economic and institutional transformations in contemporary cities and it aims at fostering innovative and interdisciplinary research. Applicants are requested to submit a research proposal with reference to topics of their interest. We encourage proposals covering topics such as :
• Multi-scalar regional urbanization processes
• Advances and challenges in contemporary planning theory and practice
• Urban transitions towards sustainability
• Social and economic changes and their effects on spatial development processes
• Tools for the evaluation and management of urban projects
• European cities, urban policies in Europe, the EU urban policy agenda.
PhD Call for Application information is available here.
Applicants must fill out the online application form and attach the required documents by May 29th 2015, 2 pm (Italian time zone).
Further details and additional information here.
Happy Wednesday Fellow EURA Members!
We thought we would share some information recently forwarded by other EURA members:
1) The organizers from the Manchester Conference on Twin Cities in Past and Present are expanding their conference by one more day and will now run 25-27 June 2015. For a chance to check out contributions from across the world and in several disciplines including urban history, political science, geography and planning check out their website.
2) The call for applications is now open for the 3rd COST Action “LocRef” PhD-Training School: “Innovation in Local Government”.The Training School will take place in Spetses, Greece from September 13 -17, 2015 . Local organizers are Prof. Dr. Nikos Hlepas and Prof. Dr. Panagiotis Getimis. Our cooperation partners from EURA/EUROLOC are Prof. Dr. Kristof Steyvers and Prof. Dr. Henk van der Kolk.
As with previous Training School events, the COST Action ‘LocRef’ offers a grant to 24 participants to (co-)finance their expenditures. The grant will be a lump sum of 750.- € for participants from outside Greeceand 450.-€ for participants from Greece. Application deadline is June 30, 2015. A possibility to earn a certificate of attendance is also guaranteed.
Additionally, the EURA Team encourages you to check out our Current Event & News page as there is always something new.
Abstract submission is now closed but the opportunity to register and attend EURA’s conference in Sibiu, Romania is still open!
The conference theme this year is Transforming cities, transformative cities. A fantastic theme set in a beautifully transformed city. Sibiu was 2007 European Capital of Culture and a post-socialist city brimming with illustrations of political, social, economic, and environmental transformation.
Check out how you can join the Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu Conference Committee and the EURA Team here.
We have just over a week before the 2015 EURA Conference deadline – extended until 15 February.This year’s conference is hosted by Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Romania! Any last minute thoughts about submissions? Then check out the details for the call for proposal on our 2015 Conference page.
Find out more information about this year’s upcoming conference in Sibiu, Romania by visiting our newly updated conference page!
Learn about the latest with the December 2014 issue of our Newsletter.
EURA features profiles of its various institutional members in each newsletter. For December 2014, we are proud to present the Global Urban Research Unit at the Newcastle University School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape. Click here: GURU at Newcastle University to learn more about the institution as well as current Doctoral and Research opportunities available there!
Published: November 2014
Public policy gives too little attention to the widespread and still growing problem of Europe’s aging and poor quality housing…
For details on a discount for the purchase of the book, click here.
Published: October 2013
In the past decade, urban regeneration policy makers and practitioners have faced a number of difficult challenges…
The “banlieue” occupies a particular place in the French imagination…
Published: November 24 2014
A new, international comparative book on urban leadership was launched at the Bristol Festival of Ideas in the UK last month…
Published: April 2014
A collection of short research abstracts by PhD candidates at the Bartlett School of Planning, London, specially prepared in April 2014 for the Bartlett centenary…
Published: October 2014
Traditional approaches to understand space tend to view public space mainly as a shell or container, focussing on its morphological structures and functional uses.
Published: November 2013
European cities are changing rapidly in part due to the process of de-industrialization, European integration and economic globalization…
Check out some of the newest titles from Edward Elgar Publishing. EURA members also have an exclusive 35% discount when they order from Edward Elgar.